What is the total supply of BETTER?
200 million tokens (ERC-20 on the Ethereum blockchain).
Did BETTER have a token private sale and/or presale?
No initial investors. No private sale. No token presale. BETTER launched via a free community airdrop on Earth Day 2022 (04/22/2022).
What is the token distribution?
- 50% = The BETTER CLIMATE FUND
- Managed with strict lockup and released via slow drip mechanism
- 50% = General Supply
- 17% = Staking Rewards (BETTER & LP)
- 12.5% = Community Airdrop
- 9.5% = Core Team & Advisors
- 4% = BETTER DAO Ecosystem Fund
- 4% = Operating Fund
- 3% = Liquidity Pool Launch / Protocol Owned Liquidity
What are the team’s lockup/vesting terms?
The Core Team is subject to a four-year vesting schedule with a 12-month cliff.
Vesting is managed through LiquiFi.
Have your contracts been audited?
The BETTER contracts were developed and tested by professional developers with heavy emphasis on OpenZeppelin's modular, reusable, and secure smart contracts. The BETTER contracts will be audited in the near future.
NFTs and Merch
Do I own the IP of the BETTER NFTs I purchase?
Please read through our full Terms of Service for details.
BETTER CLIMATE FUND
What are the technical details of the BETTER CLIMATE FUND? How exactly does it work?
See BETTER's documentation on Gitbook.
Why carbon offsets?
Carbon offsets are divisive and debated within the scientific community, which is exactly why BETTER doesn’t hinge on them. But at launch, BETTER needed a clear, demonstrable proof of concept to showcase how the model works. Tokenized voluntary carbon credits are a transparent, verifiable way to do so through BETTER’s first partner Toucan.
What comes after carbon offsets?
Members of the BETTER DAO can pivot the allocation of the BETTER CLIMATE FUND tokens in any direction the community chooses.
How does Toucan bridge carbon credits onto the blockchain?
Find out more here.
What does the DAO have control over?
The BETTER DAO ultimately governs the direction of BETTER’s climate impact, through management of the BETTER CLIMATE FUND, potential changes to staking and governance frameworks, and allocation of assets held in the BETTER DAO Ecosystem Fund.
How are proposals generated?
- Visit the BETTER DAO Governance Forum for details on the BETTER DAO Improvement Proposal (BIP) framework
- New BIPs will be posted to the governance forum and announced in the BETTER Discord
Who gets to vote? Where do I vote and how?
- Anyone who has staked BETTER tokens or staked BETTER Angel Vault LP tokens can vote on BIPs
- Voting is done onchain via snapshot.org; BETTER DAO’s voting happens here
- Voting on new BIPs will be announced in the BETTER Discord and in BETTER’s Snapshot space
- For more information, see BETTER's documentation on Gitbook
How can I contribute to the DAO?
Anyone can contribute through token ownership and staking, proposal generation, discussion, voting, and general engagement across all of BETTER's communication channels. If you’re interested in contributing in a more formal role, come over to the BETTER Discord and reach out to discuss more.
What is BETTER?
BETTER is an ERC-20 governance and utility token that enables a decentralized community to drive climate impact through social coordination and transparent blockchain-based solutions.
What blockchain is BETTER on?
BETTER is an ERC-20 token on the Ethereum network.
You can view the verified contract address here: 0x3FCF8C54E2dE40E9DA7373Ae33767093d2998568
Why Ethereum? Isn’t that bad for the environment?
- The goal for BETTER is to be a means for social coordination to fight climate change
- Ethereum offers the largest platform to reach the broadest audience and onboard people who are still new to crypto
- Ethereum will soon transition from Proof of Work (POW) to Proof-of-stake (PoS) which results in far less energy intensity and corresponding carbon emissions
- As BETTER grows and evolves, there may be considerations for alternative blockchains for BETTER with the support of the DAO
I've heard crypto is a big polluter? Is this project a contradiction?
Any blockchain based project currently has carbon implications. See the above question regarding Ethereum in particular. BETTER is committed to offsetting its own footprint, starting by purchasing Base Carbon Tonnes (BCT) to account for contract deployments, all token claiming from the airdrop, and the initial activity on staking contracts. Thanks to the transparent and immutable nature of public blockchains, proof of BETTER's offsets will be verifiable via smart contracts.
If BETTER increases 100x in value the BETTER CLIMATE FUND could offset 21% of ETH’s annual emissions.
If BETTER increases 500x in value the BETTER CLIMATE FUND could offset 92% of ETH’s annual emissions.
If BETTER increases 1000x in value the BETTER CLIMATE FUND could offset 184% of ETH’s annual emissions.
Who is the team behind BETTER?
This has been an effort involving many talented people across multiple countries, but the founding team is a group of 3 with backgrounds in engineering, design and advertising. We’re staying anon for now, but are backed by our fantastic team at Ashbury Legal to help navigate crypto’s waters.
We also understand that communities are eager for founders to dox themselves these days. But we’ve decided that it’s more important for the biggest takeaway of our project to be about climate change. Not ourselves or our personal stories. Someday we might step forward, but for now, let’s all just focus on what matters most: our planet.
Are there outside investors?
Nope. BETTER is launching without any outside funding. Should an opportunity present itself that aligns with BETTER’s vision and drives growth, the DAO will decide next steps.